BUSCADOR






21º Year - 5ª Time - 24/11/2017
Carnota
Last Costa da Morte´s sea

Barn of Carnota, National Monument

Monte Pindo

Several places´ names remind us the ancient Galician Celtic language as it is the case with Carnota, whose word Carn, very frequent in Galicia, refers to stones or rocky lands. The Middle Ages´ Cornatum county was land of the Trastamaras. As its fortresses were destroyed during the Irmandinos´ war in 1467, Carnota´s main monuments date from the XIX century.

Carnota´s Barn National Monument is a typical example of Galician rural architecture. Barns here were traditionally made out of stones and elevated from the ground to stop mice from getting to the crops. Built by Gregorio Quintela, it is the second longest barn in Galicia, measuring 34 m. long and having 11 pairs of columns. The longest one is the Barn of Arano, the biggest in the world (37 m. long). Another Carnota´s monument is Santa Comba´s church, whose old documents were burnt by Napoleon´s troops in the XIX century.

Rias Baixas´ vicinity

Hórreo

Carnota´s long beaches remind the Rias Baixas´ vicinity.

Near Caldebarcos, next to the magic Pindo mountains, Carnota´s ecological space shelters an important variety of migratory birds. The beach, 5 km long and 1 km wide, is considered one of the most beautiful sandbanks in Galicia.

In Caldebarcos, in front of the Lobeira and Carromoeiro´s isles, several ships of the Spanish Armada collapsed in 1596 when departing to England.

Long Carnota´s beach and dunes continue to the clean Cancelo and Lira beaches, where is located the small Portocubelo´s harbour. In Larino´s lands, the Monte Louro is the Muros´ vacationers favourite beach.

Links

News Archive